It’s time to thank the many people who helped show me the way…
During the early days of my study on this topic in 2003, I learned from many people and wanted to publicly thank some of those people today. They include two scientists, five physicians, several authors and a Christian minister in North Carolina. The following five websites have all been very helpful to me and I wanted to share them with you now.
I should point out that there are some different opinions on a few topics within the following group, but I choose to focus on the vast amount of “common ground” about plant-based nutrition that they all share. Quite simply, they all agree on the simple words of Dr. Campbell, “The closer we get to a diet of whole plant-based foods, the better off we will be.”
1. The T. Colin Campbell Foundation website. I first learned about Dr. Campbell in 2003 before he wrote The China Study while I was searching for credibility, legitimacy and authenticity on this topic. And I found all three when I found Dr. Campbell. Over the years we have become friends and he and son Nelson were kind enough to write the foreword to our book. I have been a regular visitor to his website for years; it offers lots of great articles and videos for free along with user-generated recipes (approved by TCC staff), and now, a new social network that can be accessed from the home page at tcolincampbell.org.
2. The website of Joel Fuhrman, MD. Some of my first great sources of information in 2003 were Joel’s enlightening books. It was those books that led me to his very extensive website that includes newsletters, medical advice, articles, and discussion forums. For several years, I worked with Joel and his team in New Jersey as they were exploring new ways of sharing the complete truth about nutrition with a larger audience. Much of his extensive site is free and there is a nominal charge for other services. There is also an online store with lots of educational material along with many plant-based foods and health products. Visit drfuhrman.com.
3. The website of John McDougall, MD. For the past eight years, John has been an exceptionally valuable source of information for me and my family. I have read his books, watched his videos, tried his recipes, attended his seminar in California and have benefited greatly from his knowledge. His website includes an extensive array of free information — lots of recipes, free videos, articles, testimonials — along with a very robust and active discussion forum. The only things you pay for on this site are educational and health-promoting products that you can order online. Featured prominently in The China Study, I strongly recommend that you visit drmcdougall.com.
4. Hallelujah Acres, the website of Reverend George Malkmus. As the founder of the Hallelujah Diet and Hallelujah Acres after being diagnosed with colon cancer thirty-five years ago, George has been spreading the word about the health-promoting power of plant-based nutrition to hundreds of thousands of people for many years. He recently posted his Weekly Health Tip #715, after some fifteen years of sharing. During one period back in 2005, he devoted several months of his weekly Health Tips to sharing information from The China Study with his many thousands of Christian followers. Visit hacres.com.
5. The website of Raymond Francis, scientist and author. I met Raymond in his northern California office in the spring of 2003, after reading his best-selling book, Never Be Sick Again. Since then, he has built quite a following for his Beyond Health website where he offers lots of helpful information in the form of videos, articles, recipes, and health-promoting products. Visit beyondhealth.com.
In addition to the five organizations listed above, I have also learned a great deal from the following individuals and have featured them in some of my blogs. All of them are featured prominently in our book, listed here in alphabetical order:
- Neal Barnard, MD
- Colin Campbell, PhD
- Caldwell Esselstyn, MD
- Joel Fuhrman, MD
- Howard Lyman, author
- John McDougall, MD
- Dean Ornish, MD
- John Robbins, author
In closing, a great big heart-felt thanks to all of you; as you have all made a big difference in my life and have provided the foundation for the body of knowledge and the inspiration for writing our book.
If you like what you see here, you may wish to join our periodic mailing list. Also, for help in your own quest to take charge of your health, you might find some useful information at our 4-Leaf page. From the seaside village of Stonington, Connecticut – Be well and have a great day.
If you’d like to order our book on Amazon, visit our BookStore now.
—J. Morris Hicks…blogging daily at HealthyEatingHealthyWorld.com
PS: Occasionally an unauthorized ad may appear beneath a blog post. It is controlled by WordPress (a totally free hosting service). I do not approve or personally benefit whatsoever from any ad that might ever appear on this site. I apologize and urge you to please disregard.