That is the title of my upcoming presentation in Texas.
I am speaking this weekend in Austin and have just finished up my PowerPoint presentation. As I state on my website’s “Speaking” page, I could possibly be the only person in the world who is actively promoting a simple, “big picture” solution to the most serious problem in the history of humanity–our food choices in the 21st century. From this website’s speaking page:
Many authors speak about promoting health through diet, a handful speak about the environmental impacts of our diet and even fewer speak about a workable solution to our current environmental dilemma that threatens our very existence as a species. J. Morris Hicks may very well be the ONLY author in the world who speaks passionately about all three.
This dearth of leadership regarding the world’s biggest problem is unconscionable–which is why I have made this my number one priority: doing all that I can to help powerful leaders everywhere understand the urgency of what’s at stake–so much so that a handful of them will join me in making this issue their #1 priority.
In my mind, it all boils down to LEADERSHIP. My twenty years experience as an executive recruiter has prepared me for sorting out our global leadership dilemma, defined here:
There is not a single prominent leader in the world whose primary focus is on the immense environmental damage driven by our grossly unsustainable lifestyle—much less one who is leading a team to launch the urgent global initiative necessary to give us a fighting chance to bring the human species back to living in harmony with nature–before it’s too late.
How do we identify such a leader? As an executive recruiter (corporate headhunter) my clients routinely asked me to identify and recruit executives who met their extensive job specifications.
Sometimes, after searching the world, there was not a single individual that had ALL of what the client was seeking in their new executive. When that happened, we set about recruiting the candidate (s) who has an abundance of the most important “qualifications,” those skills and qualities that cannot be learned on the job.
That’s what we have now. At the end of the Austin presentation below, I have listed the photos of 12 highly recognizable potential leaders, all of whom enjoy a positive global reputation. They are all examples of the kind of powerful leadership needed. Someone you know may be able to help us reach one of these leaders–or another leader who has a similar resumé.
Only ONE of the twelve candidates in my list has been fully enlightened regarding the singular importance of our food choices in the 21st century. But, with an open mind, the other 11 could gain that “enlightenment” in less than a week. Importantly, they all possess the four qualifications that cannot be gained in a week—or a decade for that matter. Each one on my list:
- Enjoys a positive international reputation for leadership and integrity
- Has demonstrated a sincere interest in the environment
- Is well known and respected around the world
- Either has the wealth and/or the access to the kinds of money that it will take to quickly change the way the world thinks about food.
The bottom line. There is not a single person in the world (with the above resumé) who is fully enlightened about the crucial importance of our food choices AND has made changing the world’s eating habits his/her #1 priority. And, as I explain in my presentation, it only takes ONE of this kind of special leader to generate a significant shift toward plant-based eating around the world—particularly in the five regions where over 70% of the meat is being eaten: China, Europe, USA, Brazil and Russia.
Just imagine what one powerful, well-financed leader can get done–with the assistance of credible plant-based “messengers” like Martina Navratilova, Bill Clinton, Venus & Serena Williams, Tony Gonzalez, Carl Lewis, James Cameron, Ellen DeGeneres, Gary Player, Leonardo DiCaprio, Al Gore and many others.
As we approach critical environmental tipping points (we may have already passed some), it’s imperative that we take our life-saving message to the billions of people who are eating the most meat–urging them to dramatically change their food choices: by eating far less meat and far more plants. I am convinced that our ecosystem, our civilization and our future as a species is riding on those critical food choices.
This powerful message of hope is included on the final slide:
A Vision of Harmony
As people everywhere begin to learn the complete truth about their food choices, millions will start replacing most, if not all, of their animal-based calories with healthier and “greener,” plant-based alternatives. As we begin working on the “demand” side of the equation, markets will quickly respond, people will begin getting healthier, the cost of healthcare will plummet, water will become more plentiful, trees can be planted on the freed-up land and our fragile ecosystem will begin to heal.
Eventually, we must also deal with overpopulation, over-consumption and the excessive burning of fossil fuels–but those tasks will take many decades, if not centuries. Taking URGENT action NOW with our food choices can buy us the time we need to address them all.
As a former engineer, business executive, strategy consultant and corporate headhunter, I feel like I’m working on the most important project in the history of humanity—and that my clients are the children of the world—mine, yours, everyone’s. We cannot let them down! Sincerely, J. Morris (Jim) Hicks
Click this link to view all of PPT slides for the Austin event.
A few of my earlier articles on this all-important topic
- One-Page Recipe for Saving our Ecosystem. My handy, one-page document on this crucial topic. My email address and phone number are included. Pass it out to friends or colleagues who may have access to one or more powerful leaders. 7-23-14.
- NOTHING is more Important than Sustainability! By comparison, all else shrinks to insignificance. 1-25-14.
- Tearing down the single biggest roadblock to sustainability My “locked brains” article. 10-23-14.
- The ONLY viable pathway to SUSTAINABILITY It will be impossible for us to EVER live in harmony with nature—without radically changing our food choices. 8-4-14.
- Food Choices. The primary cause of global warming? Dedicated to the memory of the great climate specialist Dr. Robert Goodland. 2-4-14.
- Cancer. Heart disease. Global warming. Water scarcity. Warning, this one may make you angry. 2-6-14.
The following six books can be purchased on Amazon for a grand total of less than $60—and will enable you to understand the overwhelming challenges we face—along with the single most-powerful solution of all.
Six-Pack from Hicks—for health, hope & harmony on planet Earth
- 4Leaf Guide to Vibrant Health, powerful new book by Kerry Graff, MD and yours truly
- Healthy Eating, Healthy World, The “big picture” about food (my first book)
- An essential scientific resource: The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell; the primary book that influenced Bill Clinton to adopt a whole food, plant-based diet.
- Primary cause of cancer is not bad luck. Stop Feeding Your Cancer, by John Kelly, MD
- A horrifying wake-up call for leaders. TEN BILLION by Dr. Stephen Emmott
- Food choices are the primary cause of our environmental problems, yet our world leaders, scientists & experts are Comfortably Unaware, by Richard Oppenlander.
Why should we be eating mostly plants? The “big picture” in 4 minutes.
Want to find out how healthy you are eating? Take our free 4Leaf Survey. It takes about two minutes. eCornell is now using our survey in their plant-based nutrition course.
International. We’re now reaching people in over 100 countries. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter or get daily blog notices by “following” us in the top of the right-hand column. For occasional updates, join our periodic mailing list.
To order more of my favorite books—visit our online BookStore now For help in your own quest to take charge of your health, visit our 4Leaf Program website, which is now being used by an ever-growing army of enlightened medical doctors who are fed up with “disease care” and want to promote true health for their patients.
Got a question? Let me hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org
—J. Morris Hicks, board member since 2012; click banner for more info: