With February comes Comfort Food!
This loaf is delicious with mashed potatoes and the cashew gravy. It is the perfect comfort food for the cold season. The vegetables need to be finely chopped in a food processor. This recipe was inspired by one on the PCRM website and, after a few changes, it is our new favorite!
- 1 cup fine bulgur (medium can be used, but fine is best)
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 Tbs. water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup spelt or brown rice flour (any type of flour may be used here)
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried sage (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbs ketchup or barbecue sauce
- 1 Tbs reduced -sodium soy sauce or Bragg’s
- 4 tsp dijon mustard
- Vegetable oil spray
- Place bulgur in a large bowl and pour 1 1/2 cups boiling water over it. Soak until bulgur is tender and most of water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 Tbs water or any liquid in a pan on medium heat and add onion, carrots, and celery for about 3 minutes, stirring.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add vegetables, along with walnuts, flour, marjoram, thyme, garlic powder, salt, pepper, ketchup or barbecue sauce, soy sauce and mustard to the bulgur and stir.
- Spray loaf pan or casserole dish and pat mixture in.
- Bake uncovered for about 60 minutes.
Cashew Gravy Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbs soy sauce or Bragg’s
- 2 Tbs raw cashews
- 1 Tbs onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 4 teaspoons brown rice or spelt flour
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or vita mix and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until sauce thickens.
For a “printer-friendly” one-pager, ideal on your fridge with a magnet—Just click here for a PDF
Let me hear from you: email@example.com
If you like what 4Leaf eating is doing for you and your family, you might enjoy visiting our new “4Leaf Gear” store. From the New England village of Holden, Massachusetts — Be well and have a great day.
If you’d like to order our book on Amazon, visit our BookStore now. Also some great recipe books.