Featuring My 6-Step Solution for Ending Heart Disease
Yesterday, July 10, I had the honor of being the very first “repeat” guest on the new Marilu Henner radio show, now eight weeks old. The topic was heart disease and featured a lively discussion with Marilu and her brother Loren, who is a regular on the show. To listen to yesterday’s one-hour segment, click here.
Our discussion centered on the sad fact that most of our medical professionals are not aware of how easily heart disease can be reversed. Loren thought that it was incredulous that our doctors are not routinely recommending the almost certain heart disease “cure” that is possible with a whole foods, plant-based diet.
Marilu asked about one of my blogs featuring the heart disease treatments chosen by former VP Dick Cheney and former President Bill Clinton. I shared this part on the air:
Broccoli & Lentils OR Heart Transplant Surgery? Which would you choose?
In March of 2012, former Vice President Cheney was in the news—receiving a heart transplant that he’d waited 20 months to receive. A veteran of five previous heart surgeries (ages 37, 43, 47, 59 and 69), apparently he either thinks that the heart-disease reversing diet is too extreme OR maybe no one ever told him that he had a choice. (See USA Today article at end of this post)
Was Mr. Cheney lucky? The fact that he was receiving a heart transplant at age 71 has raised a few eyebrows. Some feel that politics or money may have had something to do with him getting one of only 2300 available hearts per year. There are currently 3100 people on the list. Might he have been much luckier had he learned about how to easily reverse his heart disease back in his 30′s and 40′s when he first began having heart procedures?
In my opinion, Mr. Clinton was the lucky one. He was lucky enough to learn about the work of Caldwell Esselstyn, Dean Ornish and T. Colin Campbell. And he was smart enough to heed their advice. For the entire blog, Clinton or Cheney? Which heart treatment do you prefer?
What can you do? So what can everyone do to help speed up the process of educating our medical community about the incredible power of plant-based nutrition to reverse heart disease? How many more millions of people have to suffer and die before this simple solution becomes common knowledge? What about my 6-Step Solution? It’s all about the doctors. This life-saving message won’t ever make it to the mainstream until the medical doctors learn it and start using it.
As Dr. Esselstyn says, “Heart disease is a toothless paper tiger that need never exist. And if it does exist, it need never progress.” So, how can you help to end heart disease?
My 6-Step Solution for Ending Heart Disease
- Ask all of your doctors to watch The Last Heart Attack — a 40-minute 2011 video on CNN, provided free here on my website.
- Ask all of your doctors to watch the 2-minute trailer of Forks Over Knives (provided below) and/or the complete documentary on Netflix.
- Ask all of your doctors to read the Spring 2013 Kaiser Permanente paper, where they advise physicians to recommend a plant-based diet to ALL of their patients. Click Here
- Schedule a meeting with each of your doctors to discuss all of the above.
- Recommend that all of your doctors sign up for the inaugural Plant-Based Nutrition Healthcare Conference in October—with continuing medical education credits. pbnhc.com. Tell them that Marilu will be there to greet them.
- For your doctors who have no interest in any of the above, FIRE THEM!
The 2-minute trailer of Forks Over Knives
The above video could become the “two minutes that defeated heart disease” along with most of the other chronic diseases that are driven by our toxic western diet. Share this blog with everyone you know — particularly your medical doctors.
A few handy links
- My special web page for heart disease. Heart Disease (#1 killer)
- A recent blog about a friend who died. How many people do you know that have heart disease?
- The Cheney/Clinton blog post. Clinton or Cheney? Which heart treatment do you prefer?
- My blog about the Kaiser Permanente paper. Plant-Based for ALL Patients!
Handy 4-piece take-charge-of-your-health kit—from Amazon.com
- The movie that’s changing the lives of millions: Forks Over Knives DVD
- Healthy Eating, Healthy World, The “big picture” about food (our book)
- An essential scientific resource: The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell
- Dr. McDougall’s new book, The Starch Solution, with lots of great recipes.
Want to find out how healthy your family is eating? Take our free 4Leaf Survey. It takes less than five minutes and you can score it yourself. After taking the survey, please give me your feedback as it will be helpful in the development of our future 4Leaf app for smartphones. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
International. We’re now reaching people in over 100 countries. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter or get daily blog notices by “following” us in the top of the right-hand column. For occasional updates, join our periodic mailing list.
To order more of my favorite books—visit our online BookStore now
Got a question? Let me hear from you at email@example.com. Or give me a call on my cell at 917-399-9700.
SHARE and rate this post below.
—J. Morris Hicks, board member, T. Colin Campbell Foundation