Background. In January of 2012, the world’s first 4Leaf Potluck Supper Club party was held at the home of Lisa and Jason Hicks in Holden, MA. It was a smashing success and inspired me to launch a Supper Club group in Stonington, CT. Maybe these guidelines will be helpful as you launch a similar club in your community. The events appeal to a wide range of people, including:
- Super healthy 4Leaf eaters who enjoy socializing with like-‐minded people, relish a very healthy meal, and share recipes & ideas with others
- People who are just interested in improving their diet
Most powerful benefit. In addition to having a great time, eating delicious food and acquiring new recipes—most people are reporting that the informal “support system” aspect of sharing success stories with others is the “main course” at these parties.
In a world where over 95% of the population is eating some variation of the toxic western diet three meals a day, it’s a rare occasion to mix and mingle with 15 or 20 people and swap stories about eliminating medications, losing weight and the plethora of other benefits associated with taking charge of your health.
- The host chooses a date and emails invites to everyone. (Almost 50 people are now on my list)
- The host provides the venue—the crackling fire, the sunset view of the harbor, the music, the candles, the flowers, the plates, glasses, ice, mixers, flatware, etc. and prepares the salad.
- Dessert. One couple volunteers to bring the dessert for everyone.
- All other attendees (single or couple) agree to bring one 4Leaf side dish/tapas. There is no main course. With everyone bringing a dish, we find that we usually have way too much food, as guests load up on one or two small servings of as many as 10 to 15 different dishes.
- 4Leaf means mostly whole foods, plant-based; no meat, dairy, seafood or eggs and easy on the oil or salt. (When in doubt, go to 4leafprogram.com)
- BYOB. This feature makes it real easy and inexpensive for the host(s).
The party organizer keeps track of the RSVPs and informs everyone of the expected number of people a few days before the event.
Conducting the Party
- As the guests arrive, the hostess decides which foods lend themselves to snacking before the main dinner. Some delicious fresh veggie summer rolls (finger food) at one party fit the bill perfectly.
- The hostess oversees whatever re-heating needs to happen and assists the guests as they prepare their dish for serving.
- After 30 to 45 minutes of socializing and snacking on 4Leaf appetizers, the host brings the group together for a little show and tell.
- Each guest explains to the group what they brought to the party and whether or not they brought recipes to share. (Some guests order their dish “to-go” from their favorite restaurant.)
- The host advises that there are copies of 4Leaf Surveys that will help the newcomer as they move toward a truly health-promoting, disease-reversing, weight-loss inducing optimal diet.
- Let the dining begin and the good times roll.
Helping your spouse. Oftentimes, one-half of a couple has discovered this super-healthy way of eating and wants to help her spouse learn to enjoy it. These Supper Club parties are great for helping that spouse experience the very best of 4Leaf eating. They see a large group of people having fun, eating from an extensive array of delectable culinary creations—and they can go home with the recipes that they particularly liked.
Want to know what happened at the very first 4Leaf party? World’s first 4Leaf Potluck Dinner Party–January 28, 2012 See links below for 4Leaf info that you may want to distribute at your own 4Leaf party.
- Click here for a printer friendly one-page pdf of these guidelines.
- The 4Leaf Survey instruction page on this website.
- The 4Leaf Self-Scoring Diagnostic Survey (12 questions) (One-page PDF)
- Using the 4Leaf Survey results to improve your diet (One-page PDF)
- The official 4Leaf Scoring Chart for your refrigerator (One-page PDF)
Want to jump-start your 4Leaf experience? Order the following four items today and learn all about the why and the how for this way of eating. Bon Appetit!
Handy 4-piece take-charge-of-your-health kit—from Amazon.com
- The movie that’s changing the lives of millions: Forks Over Knives DVD
- Healthy Eating, Healthy World, The “big picture” about food (our book)
- An essential scientific resource: The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell
- Dr. McDougall’s new book, The Starch Solution, with lots of great recipes.
Want to find out how healthy your family is eating? Take our free 4Leaf Diagnostic Survey. It takes less than five minutes and you can score it yourself. After taking the survey, please give me your feedback as it will be helpful in the development of our future 4Leaf app for smartphones. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
International. We’re now reaching people in over 100 countries. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter or get daily blog notices by “following” us in the top of the right-hand column. For occasional updates, join our periodic mailing list.
To order more of my favorite books—visit our online BookStore now
Got a question? Let me hear from you at email@example.com. Or give me a call on my cell at 917-399-9700.
SHARE and rate this post below.
Blogging daily at hpjmh.com…from the seaside village of Stonington, Connecticut – Be well and have a great day.
—J. Morris Hicks, board member, T. Colin Campbell Foundation