Like a blinding flash of the obvious
When I first started looking into the optimal diet for humans back in 2002, I did it first for health reasons. I didn’t have any urgent health issues at the time, but just got curious about the topic. That curiosity led to my experiencing a blinding flash of the obvious after a few months of study. While reading books by John Robbins book and Howard Lyman over the Memorial Day weekend in 2003, a light went on in my head when I suddenly realized…
Oh my God…we’re eating the wrong food!
That blinding flash of the obvious led to an eventual summary of the preponderance of evidence supporting the natural diet for our species…as I gradually came to realize that the future of life on planet Earth may very well hinge on our return to that health-promoting diet. As Dr. Campbell is quoted on the first page of our book…
It turns out if we eat the way that promotes the best health for ourselves, we also promote the best health for the planet.
How convenient is that? Sounds like the Creator knew what he was doing. As for that preponderance of evidence, here’s my BIG PICTURE summary…a simple story of health, hope and harmony.
Health. We have learned from science and medicine that 70 to 80% of our diseases are driven by the food that we eat. By simply shifting to the natural diet for our species, we can promote vibrant health while eliminating up to $2 trillion of health care costs. Those costs have risen from 5.2% of GDP in the U.S. since 1960, stand at 17% today and projected to hit 31% by 2035. Grossly unsustainable by any measure.
Hope. This powerful word that helped get Obama elected relates to every single one of the five major categories (featured in our book) that are impacted by what we choose to eat. — health, energy, environment, world hunger and the suffering of animals.
- Health. The animals in the wild whose DNA is closest to ours offer us very powerful clues as to what we should be eating…they eat nothing but whole plants. Moving back to this natural diet for our species offers our greatest hope for taking charge of our health and our unsustainable cost of health care.
- Environment. Water, Land, Forests, Climate and Biodiversity, we humans have caused more damage in just the past 50 years than all of the previous generations of humankind for the past 200,000 years. Our greatest hope to reverse this trend before it’s too late is a deliberate return to the natural diet for our species.
- Energy. According to an Ohio State study, the least efficient plant-based calorie is more than ten times as efficient as the most efficient meat-based calorie. With demand still soaring in developing nations, our greatest hope for conserving our finite supply of fossil fuels is a deliberate return to the natural diet for our species.
- World Hunger. Simple arithmetic: 8 billion acres of arable land on Earth, 7 billion people and rising. With just over one acre per person, how can we possibly continue to expand the consumption of the meat-laden western diet that requires over 3 acres per person? Once again, our single greatest hope to prevent a global disaster of famine and chaos is a deliberate return to the natural diet for our species.
- Animal Suffering. We now raise over 60 billion animals in HORRIBLE conditions per year to meet the demands of far less than half our 7 billion people. When does it stop? My conclusion is that humankind is the direct cause of over 90 % of all animal suffering…and our single greatest hope to end this madness is a deliberate return to the natural diet for our species.
Harmony. Here’s the Big Picture. …4 billion years of life on earth, with millions of known species, past and present, humankind is the only species who has not lived in harmony with planet Earth. Yet we consider ourselves the most intelligent. Smart maybe, but absolutely stupid at the same time…as we selfishly continue to run roughshod over the planet with no apparent care for the lives of those humans and other species who follow us.
We have become the infestation of planet Earth…and our single greatest hope to reverse that trend is a deliberate — and urgent — return to the natural diet for our species.
If you like what you see here, you may wish to join our periodic mailing list. Also, for help in your own quest to take charge of your health, you might find some useful information at our 4-Leaf page. From the seaside village of Stonington, Connecticut – Be well and have a great day.
If you’d like to order our book on Amazon, visit our BookStore now.
—J. Morris Hicks…blogging daily at HealthyEatingHealthyWorld.com
PS: Occasionally an unauthorized ad may appear beneath a blog post. It is controlled by WordPress (a totally free hosting service). I do not approve or personally benefit whatsoever from any ad that might ever appear on this site. I apologize and urge you to please disregard.
On point again, seems like you are beating a dead horse with the obvious, keep them coming and i will continue to pass along your message. Might want to try some short 30 sec to 1.5 min. home made videos of those who have either just started to adopt the 4-leaf way of healthy eating or have been on it awhile. I had a great conversation with (the dentist that Jason helped to switch over to 4 leaft) and small videos like this would be great 3rd party testimonials that will further spread your message. As for me i am still struggling to get on board with it as my wife continues to cook (great looking food) but overall unhealthy and just does not want to make the switch (at this time).
Your friend from the Westerly Sea Side
“the hard working nice guy”