My Christmas Prayer for 2014 involves his special leadership.
In my most recent blogpost a few weeks ago, after hearing of his speech at a U.N. conference about world hunger and the environment, I made an appeal for the pope to get seriously involved in promoting the ONLY pragmatic solution to climate change and sustainability. That appeal was posted on 11-26-14. Pope speaks out regarding FOOD & ENVIRONMENT
Three weeks later, we learn of how Pope Francis helped facilitate the normalization of relations with Cuba—after 53 years. From the NY Times (See link below):
WASHINGTON — The deal that freed an American jailed in Cuba and ended 53 years of diplomatic estrangement between the United States and Cuba was blessed at the highest levels of the Holy See but cut in the shadowy netherworld of espionage.
A personal appeal from Pope Francis, American officials said, was critical in persuading Cuba’s president, Raúl Castro, to agree to a prisoner swap and the freeing of the American aid worker Alan P. Gross. The pope, officials said, acted as a “guarantor” that both sides would live up to the terms of a deal reached in secret.
Just a month earlier (10-23-14), I had mentioned the Pope in my “top ten list” of potential global leaders capable of Tearing down the single biggest roadblock to sustainability.
After fully understanding that longterm sustainability of our ecosystem AND our species is not possible without changing the way we eat—he will know what to do. Here’s what I said near the end of that post:
Circulate this article. Find those leaders. Dispel that protein myth. Unlock the brains of the best, brightest, wealthiest and most powerful leaders on Earth. Who are they? Here’s my top-ten list and someone you know may know how to reach them:
Pope Francis, Bill Gates, Ted Turner, Oprah Winfrey, Michael Bloomberg, Prince Charles, Warren Buffett, Joel Osteen, Mark Zuckerberg, and Barack Obama.
Few people took me seriously when I mentioned the pope’s name two months ago in that 10-23 blogpost. Since then, he’s spoken to the U.N. about world hunger and the environment AND he’s helped broker a normalization of relations with Cuba. With a bit of enlightenment about the lunacy of the way we’re eating in the developed world, who knows what an impact he could have in bringing about rapid global change on this most urgent of ALL topics?
Update. There is a Catholic priest in Newfoundland (a new friend of mine) who is currently working on a plan for gaining an audience with Pope Francis to discuss this crucial topic. Stay tuned.
Two more Christmas Photos, the first taken by my son during a recent “dawn patrol” at Wachusett Mountain. He ski-hikes up in the dark and skis down at sunrise. Then he goes to work. The second one is a recent photo of my refrigerator, decorated with Christmas cards featuring the images of ALL six of my grandchildren.
In addition to the source document for this blog, I have listed a few of my other 2014 blogs on this topic. Although I began blogging about mostly health in 2011, most of my recent blogs (out of a total of 875) have been focused on activism and leadership aimed at promoting sustainability.
- Source Document in New York Times. Journey to Rapprochement Visited Worlds of Presidents, Popes and Spies – NYTimes.com.
- My 10-23-14 blog. Tearing down the single biggest roadblock to sustainability
- My 11-26-14 blog. Pope speaks out regarding FOOD & ENVIRONMENT
- October, 2014. The Future of Medicine Starts Here—Canandaigua, NY
- Sept. 2014. Only one PRAGMATIC way to stop climate change!
- Aug. 2014. The ONLY viable pathway to SUSTAINABILITY
- Aug. 2014. Relentless Tenacity. Except for occasional bouts of depression
- June 2014. Leaders. Billionaires. The future of our civilization.
- Jan. 2014. NOTHING is more Important than Sustainability!
The following five books and one DVD can be purchased on Amazon for a grand total of less than $60—and will enable you to understand the overwhelming challenges we face—along with the single most-powerful solution of all.
Six-Pack from Hicks—for health, hope & harmony on planet Earth
- Healthy Eating, Healthy World, The “big picture” about food (our book)
- A life changer for millions, including James Cameron. Forks Over Knives DVD
- An essential scientific resource: The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell; the primary book that influenced Bill Clinton to adopt a whole food, plant-based diet.
- What have we done to our planet? Full Planet, Empty Plates by Lester Brown
- A horrifying wake-up call for leaders. TEN BILLION by Dr. Stephen Emmott
- Food choices are the primary cause of our environmental problems, yet our world leaders, scientists & experts are Comfortably Unaware, by Richard Oppenlander.
Why should we be eating mostly plants? The “big picture” in 4 minutes.
Want to find out how healthy your family is eating? Take our free 4Leaf Survey. It takes 2 or 3 minutes. eCornell is now using our survey in their plant-based nutrition course. Check it out on your smartphone at eCornell.com/4Leaf-Survey.
International. We’re now reaching people in over 100 countries. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter or get daily blog notices by “following” us in the top of the right-hand column. For occasional updates, join our periodic mailing list.
To order more of my favorite books—visit our online BookStore now For help in your own quest to take charge of your health, visit our 4Leaf Program and also enjoy some great recipes from Lisa’s 4Leaf Kitchen.
Got a question? Let me hear from you at email@example.com. Or give me a call on my cell at 917-399-9700.
—J. Morris Hicks, board member since 2012; click banner for more info: