At the United Nations FAO nutrition conference in Rome
Could he be that rare global leader we so desperately need? When one of the most prominent leaders in the world makes caring, intelligent comments about FOOD and the ENVIRONMENT in the same speech at a U.N. conference, it catches my attention.
Not only is he prominent, Pope Francis may very well be THE single most influential person in the world today. In addition to the 1.2 billion Catholics, he could also influence an additional one or two billion people like me—those who admire and respect him as a person of great integrity and compassion. Excerpts from his speech at the U.N. FAO conference in Rome last week (11-20-14):
God always forgives mankind, but the earth does not…If men continue to be greedy abusing natural resources to make a profit, the earth will eventually take her revenge…Take care of the earth so it does not respond with destruction…Primacy of profit and market priorities have obstructed efforts to fight global hunger and malnutrition.
How did I first hear about this speech? From a Catholic priest (my friend, Padre Jerry) who was attending a health conference in the Dominican Republic this week where I was speaking.
After meeting him at the poolside bar the previous evening, he slipped me a handwritten note (about the Pope in the news) the next day, just before I delivered my speech entitled: Food. Health. Planet. The only viable pathway to the longterm sustainability of humanity.
In my speeches on this topic, after describing our almost hopeless environmental dilemma driven by our food choices, I always talk about the desperate need for powerful leadership to WAKE UP the sleeping public before we run out of time. Pope Francis could be that powerful leader we’ve been seeking. He’s definitely well-qualified for the job—according to this corporate headhunter. Check out this resume:
RESUME — His Holiness Pope Francis
- Name: Jorge Mario Bergoglio
- Address: The Vatican, Rome, Italy
- Age: 77, born on December 17, 1936, in Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Education: Philosophical & Theological Faculty of San Miguel, Univ. of Buenos Aires
- Job description: Leads church of over 1.2 billion people
- Compensation package: Room, board, clothing and unlimited international travel
- One of the top three most recognized people in the world
- Globally revered for his goodness, kindness, compassion & integrity
- Understands that unchecked, human greed will destroy the world
- Knows that human activity is wrecking the environment
- Arguably the most respected person in the world
Qualified to lead, all he needs is a little further enlightenment. He simply needs to learn the following not-so-well-known facts from qualified experts in medicine, science and environmental studies:
- Humans can flourish on a whole food, plant-based diet. We don’t “need” to eat ANY animal-based food.
- On a per-calorie basis, it takes OVER ten times as much land, water and energy to produce animal based foods as it does for plant-based foods.
- Given the above facts, we can easily feed the world’s 7.2 billion people a superior, disease-reversing diet on far less land than we’re now using.
- As agricultural land is freed up and returned to nature, our fragile ecosystem can begin to heal.
- As a bonus, that superior diet is capable of wiping out most of the world’s chronic disease, curbing global warming, easing the water crisis, and reversing the human destruction of our ecosystem.
- Changing what we eat is our ONLY pragmatic option for preventing the collapse of our civilization well before the end of this century.
- It is also our ONLY option for bringing all humans back to living in harmony with nature—a prerequisite for our longterm survival as a species.
CONCLUSION. Once Pope Francis learns that all of these seven points are true, a man of his courage, integrity and compassion—will know what to do. And he very well may be our ONLY chance.
So how do we further enlighten this great man of God so that he will urgently begin leading the entire world back to living in harmony with nature? The process begins with Padre Jerry and his fellow priests in Newfoundland.
Plan of Action. When I said farewell to the Padre on November 24, I suggested to him that he was most certainly the ONLY one of the world’s 400,000+ Catholic priests who was even thinking about bringing this desperate topic to the attention of the Pope at this time. He agreed that I was probably right and he also agreed to work with me in gaining an audience with His Holiness.
For that all-important enlightenment process, I would invite a carefully-selected group of five people to join me and Padre Jerry for that initial meeting with Pope Francis. In order to allay any doubts he might have about health or science, this stellar group would join us at the table: Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. Shane Williams (cardiologist), Dr. Stephen Emmott (author of TEN BILLION) and James Cameron (world-renown environmentalist, explorer and movie director). Rounding out the table of ten would be several of the Pope’s top officials.
For this holiday, please pray for our success in the successful engagement of this rare global leader. No less than our future as a species hangs in the balance.
Just before posting this blog, I received a message from my scientist friend at the World Bank Group. Jeff Anhang and his now deceased colleague, Robert Goodland, reported in 2009 that at least 51% of ALL human induced GGH is attributable to livestock, Worldwatch 2009.
Today, Jeff is sharing a powerful “Turkey Day”message; one that Pope Francis could use to influence billions of people to heed: How turkey this Thanksgiving might save our world.
We’ve all talked about going cold turkey; how about NO TURKEY?
- Source document. United Nations News Centre – Pope Francis urges concrete action in global nutrition challenge at UN conference in Rome.
- CNBC report. Pope Francis: Greed of man will destroy the world.
- NY Times, 11-25-14. Pope Says Europe Seems ‘Elderly and Haggard’
The following five books and one DVD can be purchased on Amazon for a grand total of less than $60—and will enable you to understand the overwhelming challenges we face—along with the single most-powerful solution of all.
Six-Pack from Hicks—for health, hope & harmony on planet Earth
- Healthy Eating, Healthy World, The “big picture” about food (our book)
- A life changer for millions, including James Cameron. Forks Over Knives DVD
- An essential scientific resource: The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell; the primary book that influenced Bill Clinton to adopt a whole food, plant-based diet.
- What have we done to our planet? Full Planet, Empty Plates by Lester Brown
- A horrifying wake-up call for leaders. TEN BILLION by Dr. Stephen Emmott
- Food choices are the primary cause of our environmental problems, yet our world leaders, scientists & experts are Comfortably Unaware, by Richard Oppenlander.
Why should we be eating mostly plants? The “big picture” in 4 minutes.
Want to find out how healthy your family is eating? Take our free 4Leaf Survey. It takes 2 or 3 minutes. eCornell is now using our survey in their plant-based nutrition course. Check it out on your smartphone at eCornell.com/4Leaf-Survey.
International. We’re now reaching people in over 100 countries. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter or get daily blog notices by “following” us in the top of the right-hand column. For occasional updates, join our periodic mailing list.
To order more of my favorite books—visit our online BookStore now For help in your own quest to take charge of your health, visit our 4Leaf Program and also enjoy some great recipes from Lisa’s 4Leaf Kitchen.
Got a question? Let me hear from you at email@example.com. Or give me a call on my cell at 917-399-9700.
—J. Morris Hicks, board member since 2012; click banner for more info: