We’ll never fix “disease care” until we fix the food.
And that’s a huge problem. In a democratic form of government such as ours, it’s almost impossible to change something as wildly popular as the Standard American Diet—even if it’s killing most of our citizens, bankrupting our treasury and possibly even compromising our national security.
But occasionally, the stars line up in such a way that it is more possible than ever before AND maybe even more possible than it will ever be again.
That’s what I cause a perfect storm for fixing healthcare (“disease care”) in the United States. I really don’t think that the time could ever be more right than it is right NOW. And those “perfect storm” conditions may never be seen again in our lifetimes.
As you will see, the leaders mentioned below have the knowledge AND they have a rare window of opportunity. Quite simply, they can start the process of “taming the healthcare monster,” — by clearly explaining to all Americans how to prevent or reverse 75% of disease. Here’s the five-part perfect storm:
1. Obama. We have a sitting president that “truly gets it” about the world-changing consequences of our food choices. Watch the 4-minute video in this blog: Did you know that Obama really “gets it” about food? (This has nothing to do with being Democrat or Republican; this is all about understanding the consequences of our food choices.)
2. Second term. That sitting president doesn’t have to worry about being elected again. To-do list for our president’s second term in office This means that he can take a stand and tell the world what he really knows to be true about our food choices—even though 90% of Americans won’t like hearing it—at first.
4. National Security & Health Care. The cost of health care is beginning to affect national security—health care spending is beginning to force downsizing of our defense budget. Dollars & Sense of Healthcare, Defense & National Security
5. Scott Bates, a friend of mine. He is among a very small minority in Washington who fully understands the grave consequences of our food choices—and he is running the Center for National Policy. The CNP is an independent think tank dedicated to advancing the economic and national security of the United States. We bring together thought leaders and decision makers who are focused on the revitalization of our economy for the benefit of all Americans and the strengthening of the values of human rights and democracy at home and across the globe.
How important is all of this? How important is it for us to come together and seize this extremely rare perfect storm opportunity? I believe that it is the most important issue in the history of the human race—because what we’re talking about affects the longterm sustainability of our species. What could be more important than that?
Dr. Campbell agrees; from the Introduction of his not-yet-released book, WHOLE, Rethinking the Science of Nutrition:
“What we eat, individually and collectively, has repercussions far beyond our waistlines and blood pressure readings. No less than our future as a species hangs in the balance.”
What can you do to help? Send this blog to every public official that you know. Also send it to your friends and ask them to send it to their public officials.
This perfect storm won’t last forever; they say that Team Obama has only got about two years at best to get much accomplished. Hopefully, they’ll be bold and choose their projects wisely. They need to exhibit some Lincoln-esque leadership right about now. —My 723rd consecutive daily blog—
Handy 4-piece take-charge-of-your-health kit—from Amazon.com
- The movie that’s changing the lives of millions: Forks Over Knives DVD
- Healthy Eating, Healthy World, The “big picture” about food (our book)
- An essential scientific resource: The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell
- Dr. McDougall’s new book, The Starch Solution, with lots of great recipes.
Want to find out how healthy your family is eating? Take our free 4Leaf Diagnostic Survey. It takes less than five minutes and you can score it yourself. After taking the survey, please give me your feedback as it will be helpful in the development of our future 4Leaf app for smartphones. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
International. We’re now reaching people in over 100 countries. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter or get daily blog notices by “following” us in the top of the right-hand column. For occasional updates, join our periodic mailing list.
To order more of my favorite books—visit our online BookStore now
Got a question? Let me hear from you at email@example.com. Or give me a call on my cell at 917-399-9700.
SHARE and rate this post below.
Blogging daily at hpjmh.com…from the seaside village of Stonington, Connecticut – Be well and have a great day.
—J. Morris Hicks, board member, T. Colin Campbell Foundation