Great for apres ski or snowshoe outing
This recipe is by far the best “cream free” tomato soup. It’s a new favorite at our house! It is very easy and quick to make too.
Not just a prelude to a meal, one could make a meal out of this soup. As you can see, it’s loaded with lots of hearty calories and fiber from all the rice and the beans.
- 1 1/4 cups dried garbanzo beans, or two unsalted 15 ounce cans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, unsalted
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make brown rice, and garbanzo beans if using dried (note: dried beans take at least 8 hours to soak).
- In a large pot, sauté the garlic, rosemary and thyme in liquid until fragrant. This should only take about 30 seconds to a minute.
- Add the vegetable broth to the pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the diced tomatoes and garbanzo beans, reducing the heat to medium and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cooked rice, salt and pepper and stir.
- Transfer two cups of the soup to a blender, Vitamix or food processor and blend until smooth. Return the puree to the pot and stir.
For a “printer-friendly” one-pager, ideal on your fridge with a magnet—Just click here for a PDF
Let me hear from you: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you like what 4Leaf eating is doing for you and your family, you might enjoy visiting our new “4Leaf Gear” store. From the New England village of Holden, Massachusetts — Be well and have a great day.
If you’d like to order our book on Amazon, visit our BookStore now. Also some great recipe books.