Just in time for the holidays—a healthy 4Leaf Appetizer
Lisa apologizes for the lack of recipes the past few months, but she has had a very good excuse. Her 4Leaf Kitchen has been undergoing an extensive renovation. But it is now finished and Lisa will be turning out many more 4Leaf recipes in the future. But first, take a look at her brand new kitchen in Holden, Massachusetts.
This recipe is the perfect 4Leaf appetizer to bring to a party. People enjoy finger foods and these bite-size rounds feel like a treat. The recipe comes from The Great Life Cookbook, by Priscilla Timberlake and Lewis Freedman.
They are very easy to make and can also be paired with a salad or vegetables. The recipe makes about 50 two-inch rounds, but you can cut the recipe in half to make less.
- 5 cups dry millet
- 12 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 3/4 cups raw almonds
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 1/2 cup dried currants
- 2 cups chopped parsley (1 large bunch)
- Rinse and drain the millet. Place it into a large cooking pot, add water and sea salt and cover.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to simmer and cook for about 25 minutes. Keep checking it as different ovens may cook quicker.
- In a bowl, toss almonds with tamari. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until toasted, about 10 minutes.
- Chop almonds by hand or in a food processor, and be careful not to blend too long. You want it coarse and not a powder.
- Stir in the chopped almonds and the currants into the hot cooked millet.
- When millet is cool enough to handle, mix in parsley and mold into balls, about 2 inches in diameter.
- Let sit room temperature for 20 minutes or more before serving.
For a “printer-friendly” one-pager, ideal on your fridge with a magnet—Just click here for a PDF.
Let me hear from you: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you like what 4Leaf eating is doing for you and your family, you might enjoy visiting our new “4Leaf Gear” store. From the New England village of Holden, Massachusetts — Be well and have a great day.
If you’d like to order our book on Amazon, visit our BookStore now. Also some great recipe books.