The “Greenest” Cream of Broccoli 4Leaf Soup
This broccoli soup has more broccoli in it then any broccoli soup recipe I have come across. It has 20 cups! That is a lot of green! It makes enough to last a week or more! It is a great winter or rainy day soup.
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 medium sized potatoes any variety
- 6 heads of broccoli, or about 20 cups, roughly chopped
- 1 32 oz. container of low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups of nondairy milk, such as rice, almond or hemp
- 10 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of arrowroot (or 5 tablespoons cornstarch) mixed and dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
- salt and pepper to taste
- nutmeg or cumin to taste (optional)
- Optional: cooked brown rice or potatoes, diced and boiled (see #8 below).
- Sautee the onions and garlic in any liquid, i.e.water, vegetable broth in an 8-quart pot over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and the potatoes. They should take up almost the entire pot.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, nondairy milk, and water. The liquid should cover the vegetables. If it does not, add more water.
- Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg or cumin (if using).
- Cover the pot, increase the heat to high, bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the broccoli is very tender.
- Blend with a hand blender if you have one or transfer the mixture to a blender a little at a time.
- Return to pot on medium high heat. When the soup begins to simmer, add the arrowroot mixture.
- Want to make it even heartier? Pour soup over cooked brown rice or cooked potatoes (1 cup of brown rice and/or 1/2 cup to 1 cup of cooked potatoes).
For a “printer-friendly” one-pager, ideal on your fridge with a magnet—Just click here for a PDF.
If you’d like to order our book on Amazon, visit our BookStore now.
Let me hear from you: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you like what 4Leaf eating is doing for you and your family, you might enjoy visiting our new “4Leaf Gear” store. From the New England village of Holden, Massachusetts — Be well and have a great day.
SHARE and rate this post below…One more thing, occasionally an unauthorized ad may appear beneath a blog post. It is controlled by WordPress (a totally free hosting service). I do not approve or personally benefit whatsoever from any ad that might ever appear on this site. I apologize and urge you to please disregard.