While watching the movie HOME last week, I heard a fact that I’d never before; that is, the volume of water on our planet has been constant for billions of years. All generations of humans and creatures have drunk the same water. The volume never changes, but how it is used changes all the time. The key to life on Earth is a fragile harmony that nature constantly seeks to maintain.
Looking at our planet from outer space, water takes up most of the view prompting us to think that we’d never run out of water. But in the last century, humankind has seriously disrupted that fragile harmony and now, we’re experiencing water shortages and pollution all around the world.
Here’s a few facts related to our impending crisis…you can decide what to do with them:
- More people using more water per person. There were less than one billion on the planet just 300 years ago; now there are seven billion.
- It takes 100 liters of water to produce one kilo of potatoes…it takes 13,000 liters of water to produce one kilo of beef.
- More meat consumption. The world is now raising 60 billion animals per year for our dinner tables. That number is going up rapidly as the developing world mimics the unhealthy, destructive, water-guzzling and unsustainable western diet.
- Mountains of MANURE. In just the U.S., the solid waste produced by animals we eat each year is 1.37 billion tons — a staggering amount, much of which pollutes our rivers, streams and oceans.
- Even with no population growth, we would need to raise 300 billion animals per year if the entire world shifted to our incredibly wasteful diet-style.
- More and more fertilizer and pesticides used in the meat production process add to the ever worsening water pollution problem.
- The world population is still growing rapidly…adding another 197,000 people every single day — equal to the population of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- The amount of water required to produce ten pounds of beef is enough fresh water to provide for ALL of the household needs of a family of four for a full year.
At what point do the intelligent and responsible citizens of the planet recognize the “blinding flash of the obvious here and realize that the bizarre picture described above simply cannot continue much longer? When do we stop to consider what we are leaving for our own great-grandchildren and all future generations?
Born in mid-century, most of the mess in which we find ourselves was generated on my watch. As the movie HOME reported, humankind in just the last 50 years has disrupted the fragile of harmony more on this planet than all of the previous generations of humans since our species emerged some 200,000 years ago.
That is sobering, sad, and scary — and it makes me embarrassed to be a part of the human race that has run roughshod across our beautiful planet for my entire life. And I have been a part of that problem. Now, I have dedicated the rest of my life to being part of the solution. How about you?
Click here to view HOME, the most powerful movie I have ever seen (90 minutes – free on YouTube). They simply describe how the miracle of our planet began and the extent of the damage that humankind has inflicted of late. They do a great job of presenting the “big picture” facts about the problem. It’s up to you what you do with those facts. Happy Valentine’s Day!
If you like what you see here, you may wish to join our periodic mailing list. Also, for help in your own quest to take charge of your health, you might find some useful information at our 4-Leaf page. From the seaside village of Stonington, Connecticut – Be well and have a great day.
If you’d like to order our book on Amazon, visit our BookStore now.
—J. Morris Hicks…blogging daily at HealthyEatingHealthyWorld.com
PS: Occasionally an unauthorized ad may appear beneath a blog post. It is controlled by WordPress (a totally free hosting service). I do not approve or personally benefit whatsoever from any ad that might ever appear on this site. I apologize and urge you to please disregard.