Bill Gates & Eric Schmidt—both big fans of Khan Academy

Changing the way the world thinks about education…

Maybe we can use their story to help us come up with a way to change the way the world thinks about food.

Take a few minutes and learn about the amazing Khan Academy—I first heard about it on Sunday night. On 3-11-12, 60 Minutes aired a segment about a most remarkable teacher (35-year old Sal Khan) who is revolutionizing the way we learn.

Originally working out of a closet in his home, he is now reaching millions of students with an audacious mission: providing a free world-class education to anyone, anywhere. With 3 degrees from M.I.T. and a Harvard MBA, Sal began by tutoring some cousins and then got the idea to offer his lessons to anyone, anywhere.

Sal Khan behind his desk, from which he reaches millions of students around the world.

So he quit his job as a hedge fund manager in 2009 and went to work full-time above a tea shop in the silicon valley. Now Khan Academy is going global.

Backed by Google, Gates, and other Internet powerhouses (to the tune of about $15 million), Sal Khan now has over 3,000 lectures with more than 4 million students every month. Through yesterday, he had delivered almost 130 million lessons.

You should get to know this remarkable young man. (two minutes)

He says he’s an “education entrepreneur” because he can’t think of any better way to impact the world.

Bill Gates says he’s started a revolution. (two minutes)

So, how do we teach the world about food? Well, it would help if we Bill Gates and Eric Schmidt (former Google CEO) were on board. Once they realized the staggering global impact of dispelling the “protein myth,” we could simply leverage technology like the Khan Academy to spread the word.

Mr. Gates and Mr. Schmidt both seem to appreciate the concepts of “thinking outside the box” or “pushing the envelope.”

Promoting health, hope and harmony on planet Earth

What’s good for our health, is also good for the planet.

Once they learn what a shift to plant-based eating could do for global issues like health care, climate change, environment, the energy crisis and world hunger—they would be able to generate a lot of energy around the concept of teaching these simple truths to the world.

I am certain that Dr. Campbell, Esselstyn, Ornish and many other prominent experts would be interested in collaborating with the likes of Gates, Schmidt, and Khan on a plan to help people everywhere take charge of their health—while at the same time, doing some wonderful things the entire world.

Watch the entire 60 Minutes segment that features Google CEO Eric Schmidt talking about how Sal Khan, the entrepreneur and educator, influences programs like Dell technology in education and inspiring everyone from Bill Gates & Eric Schmidt to students and teachers everywhere. Khan has figured out a way to leverage the power of IT in the classroom—and he’s done it in a way that has gone far beyond what traditional educators have done.

Click here to watch this 13-minute segment with CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta. (This video also includes a little advertising.)

Finally, take a look at the Khan Academy website itself. www.KhanAcademy.org

Maybe, like Sal Khan, we can all become “food entrepreneurs” and work together to change the way the world thinks about food. Like him, I can’t think of any better way to impact the world.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Want to receive some occasional special news from us? You may wish to Join our periodic mailing listFor daily updates you can choose to “FOLLOW” at the top of the right column>>>>>>>>>>>>

Also, for help in your own quest to take charge of your health, you might find some useful information at our 4Leaf page or some great recipes at Lisa’s 4Leaf Kitchen. Got a question? Let me hear from you at jmorrishicks@me.com.

If you’d like to order our book on Amazon,  visit our BookStore now.

J. Morris Hicks, working daily to promote health, hope and harmony on planet Earth.

From the seaside village of Stonington, Connecticut – Be well and have a great day.

—J. Morris Hicks…blogging daily at HealthyEatingHealthyWorld.com

SHARE and rate this post below…One more thing, occasionally an unauthorized ad may appear beneath a blog post. It is controlled by WordPress (a totally free hosting service). I do not approve or personally benefit whatsoever from any ad that might ever appear on this site. I apologize and urge you to please disregard.

J. Morris Hicks — Member of the Board of Directors — Click image to visit the foundation website.

About J. Morris Hicks

A former strategic management consultant and senior corporate executive with Ralph Lauren in New York, J. Morris Hicks has always focused on the "big picture" when analyzing any issue. In 2002, after becoming curious about our "optimal diet," he began a study of what we eat from a global perspective ---- discovering many startling issues and opportunities along the way. In addition to an MBA and a BS in Industrial Engineering, he holds a certificate in plant-based nutrition from the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies, where he has also been a member of the board of directors since 2012. Having concluded that our food choices hold the key to the sustainability of our civilization, he has made this his #1 priority---exploring all avenues for influencing humans everywhere to move back to the natural plant-based diet for our species.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Bill Gates & Eric Schmidt—both big fans of Khan Academy

1. Susan Knight says:

Hi! I totally support Khan Academy, it is highly adapted to today’s learning needs. In fact I’m enjoying interactive multimedia presentations from the organization through an app called Nearpod. It’s meant for classroom use and works on ipads. It’s great to watch Khan’s content together with interactive activities provided by the app. You just need to download the Nearpod Teacher from the App store and do a quick sign up. The link is: http://www.nearpod.com
    Have fun!!!!

2. Mary says:

I understand that Gates has invested in Monsanto…also that he and his father are proponents of eugenics

3. Denise Welsh says:

Yes, yes, yes…. Education is THE key !!! … to unlock individual minds then so on and so on and so on 🙂

4. Jim,

Bingo! That’s the way to go.

Sal Khan is a remarkable man, passionate, and genius in his vision. Now if you can get Sal Khan interested in nutrition?

I had hopes for John Mackey, CEO of Whole Foods. But every time I walk through his stores, I get discouraged. Whole Foods is not a mecca of good nutrition and it will never change. Profit.

Jim, maybe you are the man to change the world’s nutrition — all things are possible — the passion is certainly there.

Jim Morris Hicks and Sal Khan — what a delicious thought.

Sal Liggieri

5. Lisa says:

This is a game-changer! Education is the key to our success in everything we can become. It opens minds to the possibility that there is something better. For instance I now know that plants are much healthier for me than meat and in fact meat was never at any time healthy for me. It took 39 years before I was educated on the phenomenal power a plant-based diet holds for the entire planet. I know at some point this information will go viral and everyone will be education on the power of plants and the truth about meat and dairy. Thanks for passing on the information on Khan Academy and as always, thank you for your continued efforts to educate and keep us focused on the big picture.

6. EXCELLENT, JIM!
    I did the math program for a few weeks on the Kahn Academy site last year to see how it works so that my daughter might use the site to get ready for a college test that evaluated her level of math course to take at the college. The site is powerful! Be very careful to not make mistakes — the system drills you harder and re-checks to ensure that you learn that type of problem OK.

I posted your link on the Atkins book “con” site!
    —————-
    I have agreed to give a one hour talk on April 1, on healthy nutrition/healthy lifestyle at a Yoga Studio — my small part to educate locally. On the Flyer, I gave the website where I posted the materials that participants can peruse before the meeting!!! Go to http://public.me.com/maule5662h
    and download the top folder titled “Vicki-HealthEdApr12”

Point others to my extensive health education materials on my “Public” website!

7. Leo S. says:

Another great article and a chance for people to learn free, if they take the time. Problems can be changed by individuals who gain knowledge and don’t have to wait for legislators to pass laws to make changes that will benefit them. Time and money, once spent, are gone forever, but worthwhile knowledge can be given freely to someone who can share it with others and still be retained to pass on again and again, as long as time and memory will allow.

You are also an education entrepreneur with your daily blog. With The Internet as your classroom you can reach as many people who have the interest. Your videos and links add more information if one will take the time to access them.

You have also started a revolution by passing on “all this material” as Bill Gates stated about Khan Academy. You are also a “pioneer” as are many of the people you mention in your blogs by giving people access to material they may use to improve their lives and the health of the planet.

May you also go viral.

8. Lester Sukenik says:

I agree. This could change how we educate people world wide on the benefits of a plant based lifestyle! Great post! I’m really interested in this concept and I am anxious to explore the lessons in science and biology.