Sunny Acres Farms—Home of Happy Farm Animals


Our children probably think that pigs have a pretty nice life.

Delicate topic—but necessary

Our book has eleven chapters—and one of them is entitled “Hell on Earth.” We chose that title because it best describes the entire lives of the 60 billion food animals that we humans consume each year on this planet.

Granted, most people believe that we truly “need” to eat animal protein, and they’re really not interested in learning all about what goes on behind the scenes to deliver that meat to their plates three meals a day.

But, what if everyone did know that we don’t actually “need” to eat meat? What if they knew that by eating mostly whole plants that they could reverse their own heart disease and/or type 2 diabetes? What if they also knew about the staggering impact our meat and dairy habit is having on our natural resources?

John Robbins, one of my greatest heroes since 2003; the author of Diet for a New America and many other eye-opening books

If they knew all of the above, they might very well be more interested in exactly what goes on behind the scenes. But, most people today simply have no idea.

So in our book, we tried to gently share some disturbing information without driving them away. We included a quote by John Robbins in Chapter 7—a quote that might help people better understand what life is like for 99% of the laying hens in the USA:

Picture yourself standing in a crowded elevator. The elevator is so crowded, in fact, that your body is in contact on all sides with other bodies. Even to turn around in place would be difficult. And one more thing to keep in mind—this is your life. It is not just a temporary bother, until you get to your floor. This is permanent. Your only release will be at the hands of the executioner.

Two-minute video. One more thing before we share the following “Sunny Acres” video with you. After 393 consecutive days of blogging, there have only been fifteen posts that deal with the suffering of our food animals—less than 4% of my blogs. We don’t dwell on this topic all the time—but that doesn’t mean that it is any less important.

And don’t kid yourself, free range and grass fed are almost non-existent—accounting for around 1% of the total of all the animals that we eat. For the other 99%, this is a short story of their lives at the delightful Sunny Acres Farms. (Want to learn about a zillion more facts on this horrible topic, read Eating Animals by Jonathan Saffron Foer).

Welcome to Sunny Acres Farms

Can’t imagine yourself in that situation? Try imagining your children in there–for their entire lives.

Want to receive some occasional special news from us? You may wish to Join our periodic mailing listFor daily updates (receiving a notice of each new blog), you can choose to “FOLLOW” this blog at the top of the right column.

Thanks go out to Rory Freedman, co-author of Skinny Bitch, for sharing the above video with me. You can follow her on Twitter @RoryFreedman

Also, for help in your own quest to take charge of your health, you might find some useful information at our 4Leaf page or some great recipes at Lisa’s 4Leaf Kitchen. Got a question? Let me hear from you at jmorrishicks@me.com.

If you’d like to order our book on Amazon,  visit our BookStore now.

J. Morris Hicks, working daily to promote health, hope and harmony on planet Earth.

And if you like what 4Leaf eating is doing for you and your family, you might enjoy visiting our new “4Leaf Gear” store. From the seaside village of Stonington, Connecticut – Be well and have a great day.

—J. Morris Hicks…blogging daily at HealthyEatingHealthyWorld.com

SHARE and rate this post below…One more thing, occasionally an unauthorized ad may appear beneath a blog post. It is controlled by WordPress (a totally free hosting service). I do not approve or personally benefit whatsoever from any ad that might ever appear on this site. I apologize and urge you to please disregard.

J. Morris Hicks -- Member of the Board of Directors -- Click image to visit the foundation website.

About J. Morris Hicks

A former strategic management consultant and senior corporate executive with Ralph Lauren in New York, J. Morris Hicks has always focused on the "big picture" when analyzing any issue. In 2002, after becoming curious about our "optimal diet," he began a study of what we eat from a global perspective ---- discovering many startling issues and opportunities along the way. In addition to an MBA and a BS in Industrial Engineering, he holds a certificate in plant-based nutrition from the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies, where he has also been a member of the board of directors since 2012. Having concluded that our food choices hold the key to the sustainability of our civilization, he has made this his #1 priority---exploring all avenues for influencing humans everywhere to move back to the natural plant-based diet for our species.
This entry was posted in Suffering of Animals, Video Included. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Sunny Acres Farms—Home of Happy Farm Animals

  1. genxgemini says:

    I really appreciate your posts on the suffering of food animals. Because this is something I hadn’t given very much thought until I started reading your blog. I am moving to a vegan diet for health reasons. It wasn’t until I started reading your blog that I realized how veganism also helps the environment and animals. And those realizations have made me even more convinced of the importance of a vegan (plant-based) diet. I appreciate your insights, and the diversity of your blog posts. The big picture is vitally important. Also – I just got your book and will start reading it today!

  2. MikeR says:

    This is one disturbing video. Thanks for sharing.

  3. Are we making any gains?

    I was at the new casino in Queens NY. The place is huge — maybe the size of four football fields and crowded with people. There is a noise level from all the slot machines that is barely tolerable.
    My estimate is that 60% of the people playing the slots were Asian and the other 40% were mixed but predominately Caucasian. And as is typical, most of the Asians were slim, the Caucasians, fat.

    I have no interest in gambling, so I visited all the restaurants. Whether it was the buffet, the fast food counters or the sit down restaurants, the featured food was animal flesh — you know the story, meat and more meat, all with the fancy labels. What little vegetables I saw, were as usual, slathered in oil.

    For me an unpleasant experience, but at least I spent no money.

    I ask again: “Are we making any gains?”

    Sal Liggieri

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s