Non existent. Yet, parents everywhere don’t seem to care.
People everywhere claim to love animals but that feeling seems to stop at the barn door for the unfortunate 60 billion “food animals” that we raise on this planet for our dinner tables. Likewise, virtually ALL parents truly do love their children and want the very best for them. BUT — they blindly and silently let them order whatever they want at fast food restaurants, serve them hot dogs and burgers, and celebrate their birthdays at Chuck E. Cheese’s.
For the “food animals,” it’s more a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind. But for the children, it must be a case of sheer ignorance of what constitutes healthy eating for adults or children — getting most of our calories from whole, plant-based foods. Hence, the purpose of this blog (and numerous others) is to spread the word about the simple, health-promoting truth about what we all should be eating…especially our children.
As 2011 draws to a close, I have been summarizing a few of my almost 300 posts since I launched the site in February. I have been featuring them in blogs — organized by general categories of compelling reasons that support a plant-based diet for humans. Today, the focus in once again on the children — our hope for the future. Here is my complete top ten list of those reasons:
- Restoring our own health.
- Lowering the cost of health care.
- Feeding the world’s hungry.
- Conserving and protecting our water supply from pollution.
- Conserving our finite fossil fuel resources.
- Ending the deadly trend of lost species.
- Helping to slow or possibly reverse global warming.
- Restore our planet’s forests, rivers, biodiversity and overall harmony.
- Ending the barbaric practice of killing 60 billion animals for our food.
- Ensure that our children and all future generations can be healthy.
So far, I have blogged about #3 and #5 — and you can click on them if you like. While all of the above are crucially important to the health of ourselves and our planet going forward; perhaps #10 could create the most change — but only if people learn the truth about what we’re feeding our children these days.
From my perspective, we have made ZERO progress during 2011. Oh, the White House may quote some meaningless statistic about school lunch programs improving one tenth of one percent in some obscure category. But, in reality, we are nowhere in this effort. The lion’s share of kids menus everywhere are still the same unhealthy items: chicken nuggets, fries, burgers, pizza, mac & cheese, grilled cheese, and hot dogs. And famous people everywhere are still wearing those disgusting milk mustaches in commercials WITH our children.
We all must take some responsibility here and start sharing the cold hard facts with everyone we know. For the sake of your own children; read these posts and then make some changes in your own home. For the sake of children everywhere; share this blog with everyone you know.
1. Children — NOTHING is more important than what they eat! This may be my most important post ever… Happy 4th of July weekend! America’s Holiday — when over 90% of our nation’s children will be eating hot dogs and hamburgers from the backyard grill. This warm family scene illustrates the … Continue reading →
2. Michelle, it’s time to tell the world about “meat & dairy.” Dear Michelle, I love what you’re trying to do regarding the health of the children. I am just wondering when you think you might be ready to tell the world the truth about the “low-fat dairy” and “healthier meats” that … Continue reading →
3. No cow’s milk for humans at any age…even Dr. Spock agrees. Last week, I posted a blog on the topic of early puberty and the problems involved. In that blog, Dr. McDougall and Dr. Fuhrman stated vehemently that they do in fact know the cause of early puberty — Dr. McDougall …Continue reading →
4. Extremely early puberty…Would you believe 6 years old? A front page article on this topic appeared in the USA Today on April 11, 2011. The complete headline reads: PUBERTY TOO SOON…Girls are maturing faster than ever, and doctors are not sure why. By Liz Szabo — USA Today … Continue reading →
A glimmer of hope. Statistics show that young people are much more likely to embrace plant-based eating than are their parents. They just need to hear the truth (see top ten list) and they’re happy to completely change their diet rather quickly. And, even if their own parents never show them the right way to eat: when they get to college, they are six times more likely to choose plant-based eating — compared to the average American adult (18% vs. 3.2%).
In closing, let’s give our children something wonderful this holiday season — the gift of lifelong health for them, their children and all future generations. Let’s empower those children to promote health, hope and harmony on planet Earth.
If you like what you see here, you may wish to join our periodic mailing list. Also, for help in your own quest to take charge of your health, you might find some useful information at our 4-Leaf page. And if you like what 4-Leaf eating is doing for you and your family, you might enjoy visiting our new “4-Leaf Gear” store. From the seaside village of Stonington, Connecticut – Be well and have a great day.
If you’d like to order our book on Amazon, visit our BookStore now.
—J. Morris Hicks…blogging daily at HealthyEatingHealthyWorld.com
SHARE and rate this post below…One more thing, occasionally an unauthorized ad may appear beneath a blog post. It is controlled by WordPress (a totally free hosting service). I do not approve or personally benefit whatsoever from any ad that might ever appear on this site. I apologize and urge you to please disregard.