Since Steve Jobs passed away in early October of 2011, people everywhere have been wondering why he died. Those of us who eat mostly plants have been wondering why a self-proclaimed, strict vegan like Jobs would succumb to pancreatic cancer. His biography led us to believe that he could have been cured of his cancer if he’d just agreed to have the surgery in 2003. But, that doesn’t appear to be the case.
My friend Dr. John McDougall has probably done more research, and discovered more answers, on this topic than anyone. He has carefully researched the Jobs biography and the 60-Minutes telecast with the author, Walter Isaacson. He has also drawn upon his medical training and knowledge of cancer to create a very comprehensive explanation in in his November 2011 Newsletter, a link to which I added in my 10-8-2011 blog post on December 3.
NEW VIDEO. Now John has produced a 40-minute video at one of his Advanced Study Weekends and has made it available to all of us. I watched it earlier this week and sent a note to John asking a few more questions that still remained in my mind. Although he did respond to my e-mail, there are still questions remaining. But this video should give you a much better idea about why Steve Jobs died or rather why he lived as long as he did with the horrible cancer that he had.
Dr. John McDougall—“Why did Steve Jobs die?” (Feb. 2012)
The questions that still remain for me are the following:
- When did Steve Jobs begin eating a vegan diet? At what age?
- Did he eat a “health-promoting” vegan diet or just a vegan diet?
- If he had eaten a truly “health-promoting” vegan diet since birth, would he have been less likely to develop pancreatic cancer?
- Also, if he had eaten that truly “health-promoting” vegan diet since birth and still got cancer—would his cancer still have killed him at age 56 or would he have been more likely to have lived much longer?
In my post on October 8, I featured a video by Dr. Michael Greger on the relationship between the consumption of animal foods and pancreatic cancer. I also included a link to the McDougall Newsletter mentioned earlier. For your convenience, here is that post:
Steve Jobs. Vegan? Early death from pancreatic cancer? (posted 10-8-11)
Handy 4-piece take-charge-of-your-health kit—from Amazon.com
- The movie that’s changing the lives of millions: Forks Over Knives DVD
- Healthy Eating, Healthy World, The “big picture” about food (our book)
- An essential scientific resource: The China Study by Dr. T. Colin Campbell
- Dr. McDougall’s new book, The Starch Solution, with lots of great recipes.
Want to find out how healthy your family is eating? Take our free 4Leaf Diagnostic Survey. It takes less than five minutes and you can score it yourself. After taking the survey, please give me your feedback as it will be helpful in the development of our future 4Leaf app for smartphones. Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
International. We’re now reaching people in over 100 countries. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter or get daily blog notices by “following” us in the top of the right-hand column. For occasional updates, join our periodic mailing list.
To order more of my favorite books—visit our online BookStore now
Got a question? Let me hear from you at email@example.com. Or give me a call on my cell at 917-399-9700.
SHARE and rate this post below.
Blogging daily at hpjmh.com…from the seaside village of Stonington, Connecticut – Be well and have a great day.
—J. Morris Hicks, board member, T. Colin Campbell Foundation