Just say NO to store-bought veggie burgers; these are much better.
I started making my own burgers after reading the ingredients in the store bought veggie burgers. This version is adapted from “The Candle Cafe Cookbook. They are moist and delicious! You can also make it into a loaf with mashed potatoes.
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 2 cups cooked brown rice*
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 red, orange or yellow peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs (optional)
- cooking spray
- In a medium-sized saucepan, bring 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add the lentils, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until softened. Drain and place in large mixing bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a sprayed pan (you may also use water), saute the garlic, carrots, onions and peppers until lightly browned.
- Add the vegetable mix to the lentils. Add the salt, chili powder and whole wheat panko crumbs (if using) and mix.
- Form patties and either cook in sprayed pan until browned or bake in the oven for about 15 minutes on each side, or until browned. If making loaf, press into sprayed loaf pan and cook until browned about 45 minutes.
For a “printer-friendly” one-pager, ideal on your fridge with a magnet—Just click here for a PDF.
* Freshly cooked brown rice works best as it holds the burger together, however, if you are using already made rice, simply heat it up.
If you’d like to order our book on Amazon, visit our BookStore now.
Let me hear from you: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you like what 4Leaf eating is doing for you and your family, you might enjoy visiting our new “4Leaf Gear” store. From the New England village of Holden, Massachusetts — Be well and have a great day.
SHARE and rate this post below…One more thing, occasionally an unauthorized ad may appear beneath a blog post. It is controlled by WordPress (a totally free hosting service). I do not approve or personally benefit whatsoever from any ad that might ever appear on this site. I apologize and urge you to please disregard.