Gotta love that avocado on top!
This recipe, inspired by Chef AJ’s book Unprocessed How to achieve vibrant health and your ideal weight, is packed with nutrients. There are two pounds of greens hidden in this soup! Top it with a dollop of creamy guacamole and enjoy!
- 4 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
- 8 cups of water (you may vary this and add vegetable broth in place of water)
- 6 cans of low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained or, preferably, 10 1/2 cups of cooked dried beans.
- 1 red onion, peeled and coarsely cut
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms (you may use a different variety)
- 1 pound bok choy, coarsely chopped (about 3)
- 1 pound kale, chopped (about 1 large bunch)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced (white or red potatoes work as well)
- 2 bags frozen corn, defrosted (16 ounces each)
- 2 Tblsp. cumin
- 2 Tblsp. oregano
- 4-5 Tblsp. lime juice or juice of 4 limes
- 1/2 – 1 tsp of cayenne powder
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 Tblsp. Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning (optional)
- 2 Tblsp. oil-free sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
- 1 bunch cilantro (optional)
- 1 avocado (optional)
- Pour vegetable broth and water into a 8-Quart or larger pot, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add beans, one pound of the corn, garlic, onions, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, bok choy, kale and sun-dried tomatoes (if using).
- Simmer covered for about 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend soup with an immersion blender.
- Stir in cumin, oregano, lime juice, second bag of corn and Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning.
- Add a dollop of guacomole if desired.
For a “printer-friendly” one-pager, ideal on your fridge with a magnet—Just click here for a PDF.
Let me hear from you: email@example.com
If you like what 4Leaf eating is doing for you and your family, you might enjoy visiting our new “4Leaf Gear” store. From the New England village of Holden, Massachusetts — Be well and have a great day.
If you’d like to order our book on Amazon, visit our BookStore now.
SHARE and rate this post below…One more thing, occasionally an unauthorized ad may appear beneath a blog post. It is controlled by WordPress (a totally free hosting service). I do not approve or personally benefit whatsoever from any ad that might ever appear on this site. I apologize and urge you to please disregard.